12 Mexican Inspired Munchies & Meals – Vegetarian & Vegan! Has been a post I’ve been meaning to make for ages. Glad I waited since I’ve created a few more faves since then. Honestly, I don’t know one single person who dislikes, scratch that, doesn’t absolutely LOVE Mexican inspired food! It’s an amazing cuisine for veg-heads and vegans alike. If you’re a carb whore like myself, and this food is not your jam, I sit here, flabbergasted. If you are in fact of my ilk, then you’ll love these meals by washing them down with a serious margarita or beer. The first is usually preferred, as beer can put my guaranteed-to-be-stuffed belly over the top in fullness.
I thought about waiting to post this for Cinco de Mayo but now is a perfect time with the cold coming in. Time to stay at home, have friends over, cook, drink, and eat! Pretty sure this is what I live for (besides my fabulous wee man of course). Click on the recipe name below the pic for the recipe. Let me know your faves in the comment section! 🙂
Recipes in order of pictures:
Crazy Creamy Mexican Pasta, Holy Sh#% Loaded Nachos!, Lentil & Tofu Breakfast Quesadillas, Amazing Classic Guacamole, Buffalo Cauliflower Bowl, The BEST vegan nacho cheese sauce ever!, Vegetarian Chicken Street Tacos, G’s Arugula White Bean Quesadilla, Mexican Vegan Sushi Rolls, Green Goddess Cheesy Quesadilla, Easy Spinach & Mushroom Cheesy Quesadillas, Vegan & Vegetarian Huevos Rancheros
*Recipes from the archives and many of them on Foodgawker & Food52!
- Handful cilantro - lightly chopped
- 3 stalks green onion - diced
- 8 Tbl vegetarian refried beans
- 2 slices cheddar cheese (optional)
- 3 Tbl red & yellow roasted peppers - juilienned
- 1 1/2-2 C spinach
- 2 wedges of lime
- 2 eggs (for vegetarian version)
- 4 slices tofu (for vegan version)
- 1 small tomato - diced
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- Hot sauce as desired (I use a green & a red hot sauce)
- 1 tsp: cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, salt OR taco seasoning
- Cook spinach in pan for about 1 minute with pinch of salt
- Add roasted peppers and cook for about 30 seconds more
- Smear refried beans on each tortilla and top with cheese (optional) & pinch with seasoning (don't use all of the seasoning)
- Cook eggs or tofu in a separate pan. Sprinkle each side with remaining seasoning
- In the meantime, heat an additional pan on low and put tortilla/s in pan.
- Add spinach & peppers and then place your egg or 2 slices of tofu on each tortilla and cook until tortilla gets crispy
- Garnish each tortilla with cilantro, hot sauce, and lime wedges (squeeze on top)
- Serve quickly while still warm!
- If you like more seasoning feel free to be liberal when sprinkling it on.
- When using eggs, I like to fry it over-medium.