12 Mexican Inspired Munchies & Meals – Vegetarian & Vegan! Has been a post I’ve been meaning to make for ages. Glad I waited since I’ve created a few more faves since then. Honestly, I don’t know one single person who dislikes, scratch that, doesn’t absolutely LOVE Mexican inspired food! It’s an amazing cuisine for veg-heads and vegans alike. If you’re a carb whore like myself, and this food is not your jam, I sit here, flabbergasted. If you are in fact of my ilk, then you’ll love these meals by washing them down with a serious margarita or beer. The first is usually preferred, as beer can put my guaranteed-to-be-stuffed belly over the top in fullness.
I thought about waiting to post this for Cinco de Mayo but now is a perfect time with the cold coming in. Time to stay at home, have friends over, cook, drink, and eat! Pretty sure this is what I live for (besides my fabulous wee man of course). Click on the recipe name below the pic for the recipe. Let me know your faves in the comment section! 🙂
Recipes in order of pictures:
Crazy Creamy Mexican Pasta, Holy Sh#% Loaded Nachos!, Lentil & Tofu Breakfast Quesadillas, Amazing Classic Guacamole, Buffalo Cauliflower Bowl, The BEST vegan nacho cheese sauce ever!, Vegetarian Chicken Street Tacos, G’s Arugula White Bean Quesadilla, Mexican Vegan Sushi Rolls, Green Goddess Cheesy Quesadilla, Easy Spinach & Mushroom Cheesy Quesadillas, Vegan & Vegetarian Huevos Rancheros
*Recipes from the archives and many of them on Foodgawker & Food52!
G’s Creamy Veggie Sauce (no cream) was created for my lil’ man, G. He is now officially two years old and killin’ it everyday! Keeping him strong and healthy is obviously my mama priority. A few months ago I made this sauce for him and quickly took some pics. Again, not back on the food photography band wagon yet, as I simply do not have any time for that, however, I decided I can’t let this deter me from posting on my blog! G stopped eating most vegetables in whole form for a bit but I wasn’t willing to cut them out of his diet. I thought if I pureed them into sauces, soups, etc that he may hop back on the veggie ship and sail back into veggie love. Alas, it worked! Frankly, I adore this sauce myself. It most certainly was created for my toddler, however, it is a perfect sauce for adults alike. Use whatever you’ve got leftover in your fridge and toss it in. This recipe can serve as your guide or you can follow it completely. If you’re looking to pack your wee one (or yourself) with a protein/vitamin flavorful punch, then this is the sauce for you! Veggies galore, beans, tofu, tomatoes, herbs, parmesan (optional for vegans or sub vegan parm) make up this burst of deliciousness and health that will make your taste buds dance for more! Easy, healthy, delicious and done in only 5 minutes! This G’s Creamy Veggie Sauce (no cream) is a must-add to your recipe repertoire.
- 1/2 medium head of broccoli
- 1/2-1 cup red & yellow peppers
- 1-2 cups spinach
- 1/2 brick firm tofu (drained)
- 1/2 can of cannellini or small white beans (keep some of the juice to throw into the blender)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion (optional)
- 1 can of good tomatoes in Italian herbs if you have it OR the equivalent in marinara sauce
- 3-5 Tbl of pesto sauce (green or red)
- parmesan cheese to taste (optional for vegans or sub with vegan parm)
- oregano to taste (fresh oregano if you have it)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste (I don't use pepper when making it for my toddler)
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Done!
- Makes approximately 3 pints of sauce
- Feel free to get creative in your sauce making and add the leftover veggies in your fridge
- I serve this over whole wheat rotini noodles
- Red: Cabernet Sauvignon
- White: Pinot Grigio
Greyson’s Avocado Pasta is incredibly easy, healthy, quick, and delish! One of his ultimate faves which works for my recently very busy schedule. Honestly, I usually make enough for 2 meals for the wee man and two meals for myself! And yes, I always use super cute pasta because it just makes the avocado shell bowl look even more fabulous. 😉 I always like to aim for ‘fabulous’. Hehe. Next time you have some super ripe avocados lying around, whip up some G’s Avocado Pasta!
- 1 avocado - smashed (save your avocado shells)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 Tbl cilantro - chopped
- 1 Tbl tofu - crumbled
- 1 Tbl plain greek yogurt
- 2 C cooked pasta
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the avocado and salt together in bowl
- Add the lemon juice, cilantro, tofu, greek yogurt - mix well
- Stir in the pasta and cover completely
- Place pasta in half of avocado shell
- Mix with diced tomato & sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbl finely chopped spinach
- 1-2 Tbl finely diced carrot
- 1-2 Tbl finely diced yellow pepper
- 1 Tbl finely diced cheddar (optional)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Pinch-1/3 tsp basil
- Pinch-1/3 tsp oregano
- Olive oil to heat pan
- Heat pan with oil
- Add carrot and pepper and cook for 4 minutes
- Add egg, spinach, cheddar, salt, basil, and oregano.
- Scramble together for about 3-4 minutes.