12 Mexican Inspired Munchies & Meals – Vegetarian & Vegan! Has been a post I’ve been meaning to make for ages. Glad I waited since I’ve created a few more faves since then. Honestly, I don’t know one single person who dislikes, scratch that, doesn’t absolutely LOVE Mexican inspired food! It’s an amazing cuisine for veg-heads and vegans alike. If you’re a carb whore like myself, and this food is not your jam, I sit here, flabbergasted. If you are in fact of my ilk, then you’ll love these meals by washing them down with a serious margarita or beer. The first is usually preferred, as beer can put my guaranteed-to-be-stuffed belly over the top in fullness.
I thought about waiting to post this for Cinco de Mayo but now is a perfect time with the cold coming in. Time to stay at home, have friends over, cook, drink, and eat! Pretty sure this is what I live for (besides my fabulous wee man of course). Click on the recipe name below the pic for the recipe. Let me know your faves in the comment section! 🙂
Recipes in order of pictures:
Crazy Creamy Mexican Pasta, Holy Sh#% Loaded Nachos!, Lentil & Tofu Breakfast Quesadillas, Amazing Classic Guacamole, Buffalo Cauliflower Bowl, The BEST vegan nacho cheese sauce ever!, Vegetarian Chicken Street Tacos, G’s Arugula White Bean Quesadilla, Mexican Vegan Sushi Rolls, Green Goddess Cheesy Quesadilla, Easy Spinach & Mushroom Cheesy Quesadillas, Vegan & Vegetarian Huevos Rancheros
*Recipes from the archives and many of them on Foodgawker & Food52!
Buffalo Cauliflower Bowl! Why did it take me so long to try this buffalo cauliflower trend?! It’s freakin’ delicious and amazing! Anything uber tasty and guilt free gets a 5-star rating in the book of “Heather.” 😉 Side note: This would be a frightening book. Resume: I was in Bend, OR 2 weeks ago for a vacation (amazing! Managed to squeeze in a night in Sisters and Crater Lake as well), and went to the Bend Brewery. It was there that I was first deflowered to the hot and steamy buffalo cauliflower. What a tasty and ravenous treat. Hehe. 😉 It was instant love. A saucy treat that ended in a very real addiction. Obviously, I had to keep coming back to buffalo cauliflower for more, because, like my love for General Hospital, #additionisreal. Hey, don’t judge, we all have our vice!
I read loads of recipes online about how to make this taste sensation. I was also trying to recreate the incredible recipe from the brewery. This Buffalo Cauliflower Bowl is a result of a few recipes leading me to my buffalo cauliflower of perfection. You will LOVE this as much as everyone I have shared it with. Pinky promise!
I wanted to add this delicious treat to a ‘bowl’. I’m all about the bowls since going more plant-based. It’s an amazing way to get tons of goodness and flavor in your life in an easy fashion. I smothered some sliced portobellos and potato wedges in this buffalo sauce and grilled them up. I put spinach on the side and then smothered the shrooms, fries, and spinach in my left over vegan mac n’ cheese sauce. *Recipe coming soon! I’ll hyperlink the italicized words once I post the recipe so you can dig into this delicious cheese sauce asap. Now, stop reading this and start making your soon-to-be most favorite hot and steamy dish of the summer! Summer flings are the best kinda flings. Only, she’ll leave you wanting more. Every season. Every day. Buffalo Cauliflower Bowl does not disappoint. Enjoy the addiction. 😉
- 1 medium head of cauliflower - diced into florets
- 1/2 of a medium sized potato - cut into wedges
- Approximately 5 sliced portobellos
- 1 large handful of raw baby spinach (or any other green)
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C water
- 1/4 C vegan breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce - I prefer buffalo style (or more sauce if you like it fully smothered)
- 2 Tbl Earth Balance (vegan butter) - melted
- 1/2 tsp agave or honey (optional, but so good)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 450f.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, water, bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Toss in cauliflower - toss well
- Spray tinfoil or cookie sheet and place in oven for 20 minutes
- Remove the cauliflower from oven - keep oven on
- In small bowl, mix hot sauce, agave, and Earth Balance
- Toss cauliflower in sauce and butter and place back in oven for 30 minutes
- About ten minutes before the cauliflower is done, mix and toss the potatoes and mushrooms in the same bowl that had the hot sauce - I add pepper too
- Spray them with oil and place them on the BBQ until done
- Assemble bowl and done! Use any dipping sauce/dressing you desire!
- I smother my fries, mushrooms, and spinach in my vegan mac n' cheese sauce!
- This makes one bowl with left over buffalo cauliflower
- A cold IPA or Pale Ale