Tofu Scramble Italian Style
Tofu Scramble Italian Style is a scramble that I make quite often. Tofu scrambles for breakfast are one of my ultimate favorite meals. This particular morning, I had yet another snow day. Mind you, I now live in Portland, OR so it baffles me that as of today, we are on our 5th snow day! I’m convinced that when I moved back from Beijing the weather system got confused upon my arrival, and with me landed New York’s classic winter weather (I am from Long Island, NY so I am quite accustomed to the beauty of snow days). This being said, I finally had some time to spend in the kitchen again. It was about 6:00 in the morning on this fine Tofu Scramble Italian Style day that I decided to break out the camera and for the first time ever, actually write down my recipe. Fast forward a few hours and I was drinking sparkling wine with Pom juice in front of the fire with my pjs on. Not too shabby! I fully intended on making the most of this day.
Tofu Scramble Italian Style is loaded with flavor and delicious ingredients. However, like I always say, use what you’ve got in the fridge first! If it is not exactly what I have on my recipe card, don’t fret. Get creative and throw in ingredients that you already have opened and get crackin’! Waste not! In my particular scramble on this fine and snowy day I used artichokes, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, veggie sausage, arugula, small white beans, garbanzo beans, onion, garlic, and herbs. These are the ingredients I had floating around my refrigerator. I put my usual toast on the side: vegan cream cheese, avocado smash, and veggie bacon crumbled on top. A coffee and some water and that was me… done! Needless to say, I was both stuffed and super satisfied for hours! As soon as I could get off of the couch that I had become one with, that is the time I decided to crack the bubbly. It was an amazing day and I loved having extra time to play with my wee man, Greyson. If you have a snow day or any morning with a bit of time, give the Tofu Scramble Italian Style recipe a whirl. It will not disappoint! Mangia!
- 1 brick firm tofu-drained and squeezed dry
- 1 small yellow onion- diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic- diced
- 1 large veggie sausage link-diced. I use Tofurkey's Italian Sausage. Beyond amazing!
- 1 Tbl capers
- 4-5 marinated artichoke hearts
- 3 Tbl diced marinated sun-dried tomatoes- diced
- 1/2 a can of small white beans (not to be confused with cannellini beans-though you could substitute with these) and garbanzo beans combined
- 1-2 handfuls of arugula
- oregano to taste
- basil to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for pan
- Heat the olive oil in the pan and then add onions. Sprinkle with salt. Cook for about 3 minutes
- Add the garlic, stir, and cook for about a minute more
- Take the brick of tofu and squeeze it through your hands so it crumbles into the pan. Add herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook and occasionally stir for about 3-5 minutes
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and veggie sausage and stir for a minute
- Add the capers and artichokes and stir for a minute
- Add the beans and any additional herbs, salt and pepper. Stir for a minute
- Add the arugula and stir in. Let scramble cook, occasionally stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- If I happened to have had olives, I would've used them as well.
- Feel free to top with vegan or regular Parmesan cheese for serving.
- Serve with bubbles and Pom juice